Bjarke Ingels Group and Carlo Ratti Associati have broken ground on 88 Market Street, a new skyscraper at the heart of Singapore‘s business district. Transforming a site which was previously occupied by a parking structure from the 1980s, the 280-meter-tall building will include plentiful greenery both on its facades and internally. Inside, the building will include offices, 299 serviced residential units, and ancillary retail space.
The building’s key design move is in the vertical fins rising the height of the tower, which are pulled open at certain locations to expose the tropical vegetation inside the building. At the ground floor, visitors to the building will be met with a public “rainforest plaza” and park, featuring a number of “activity pockets” which provide space for fitness sessions, art installations, or other community events. This park will flow into the “city room,” a 19-meter-high entry space inside the tower which creates separate lobbies for the building’s offices and residential units, and also leads to the “food center” for shoppers and diners.
“BIG’s design seeks to continue Singapore’s pioneering vertical urbanism with the 280m tall diverse community of places to work, live and play inside as well as outside,” said Bjarke Ingels. “At multiple elevations, the facade peels open to reveal urban oases for its users and the surrounding city – animating the elegant smoothness of modern architecture with the ubiquitous tropical nature.”
The residential units will be located in the lower 8 floors of the tower itself, while offices occupy the top 29 floors. Between the two are 4 floors of what the architects are calling the “Green Oasis”–a 30-meter high open landscaped area with interconnected levels forming a spiraling “botanical promenade,” providing viewpoints of both the Green Oasis itself and the city beyond.
“In this building, green areas are made accessible to the public at different heights, allowing the city’s exuberance to extend throughout the entire tower,” explained Carlo Ratti. “Working in nature will be as essential to the experience of the building as the most advanced digital technologies, offering us a glimpse of tomorrow’s offices.”
“As someone with Singaporean heritage, I’m honored and humbled by the opportunity to contribute to the ongoing evolution of architecture in Singapore – the home of tropical modernism,” added Brian Yang, a partner in charge of the project at BIG. “BIG’s design looks to further this local typology by distinctly yet seamlessly blending the contemporary high-rise with abundant greenery in-between the offices, residences, amenities and recreation spaces.”
- Architects: BIG, Carlo Ratti Associati
- Location: 88 Market St, Singapore
- Big Partners In Charge: Bjarke Ingels, Brian Yang
- Big Project Manager: Günther Weber
- Big Design Lead: Song He
- Big Design Team: Aime Desert, Aleksander Wadas, Aleksandra Domian, Alessandro Zanini, Andreas Klok Pedersen, Andrew Lo, Anke Kristina Schramm, Antonio Sollo, Augusto Lavieri Zamperlini, Bartosz Kobylakiewicz, Dalma Ujvari, David Schwarzman, David Vega y Rojo, Dimitrie Grigorescu, Dina Brændstrup, Dominika Trybe, Elise Cauchard, Eriko Maekawa, Espen Vik, Ewa Szajda, Filippo Lorenzi, Francisco Castellanos, Frederik Skou Jensen, Gabrielé Ubareviciute, Gorka Calzada Medina, Helen Chen, Hongduo Zhou, Jakub Wlodarczyk, Jonas Käckenmester, Julieta Muzzillo, Kirsty Badenoch, Luca Pileri, Luis Torsten Wagenführer, Lukas Kerner, Malgorzata Mutkowska, Maria Teresa Fernandez Rojo, Matilde Tavanti, Moa Carlsson, Niu Jing, Orges Guga, Patrycja Lyszczyk, Pedro Savio jobim Pinheiro, Philip Rufus Knauf, Praewa Samachai, Rahul Girish, Ramon Julio Muros Cortes, Rebecca Carrai, Roberto Fabbri, Ryohei Koike, Samuel Rubio Sanchez, Shuhei Kamiya, Sorcha Burke, Steen Kortbæk Svendsen, Szymon Kolecki, Talia Fatte, Teodor Fratila Cristian, Tore Banke, Ulla Hornsyld, Viktoria Millentrup, Vilius Linge, Vinish Sethi, Xin Su, Xinying Zhang, Zhen Tong
- Cra Design Team: Carlo Ratti, Giovanni de Niederhausern, Saverio Panata (Project lead), Monika Love, Antonio Atripaldi, Andrea Giordano, Chiara de Grandi, Damiano Gui, Mariachiara Mondini, Andrea Pedrina, Andrea Riva
- 3 D Visualization: Alberto Bottero, Gary di Silvio, Gianluca Zimbardi
- Consultants: dotdotdot – Alessandro Masserdotti, Fabrizio Pignoloni, Gabriele Gambotto
- Other Collaborators: RSP Architects, Dragages Singapore, BIG Ideas, BIG Landscape
- Client: CapitaLand
- Area: 93000.0 m2
- Project Year: 2021